Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Florence

In Florence I did not have many meals, but that did not restrict me from having good one. As soon as I arrived I had a Panini. I did not like it that much because it was reheated. Italians tend to reheat a lot of things. I am guessing that is due to the tourists, which come in masses, and demand food in huge quantities and little time. But later on, I have one of the best gnocchi dishes I had in Italy. The sauce was just right and on top of that it had mozzarella. What also helped was the atmosphere, it was very relaxing and in a way cool because it was in the center of the city, right across from the Duomo. It was a magnificent view. The next day we had breakfast at the hotel we were staying on and to my surprise, it was delicious. But the best part was the famous Florentine Steak. It was amazing; very juicy, well seasoned and gigantic. I accompanied with potatoes which were also very tasty. I would have to say though that the stake that I had at Isolla della Scala, at the Risotto Festival was much better. I am guessing that the difference is due to the freshness of the meat. In the country everything is better because is fresh. I imagine that in a city like Florence things are not as fresh. The other thing that I liked about Florence was the meat market. Even though we walked through it quickly, it was an amazing place to buy meats of any type, from salumi to fish. Florence was a great place, its history, especially its food history is something amazing and it shows how politics and economics change the way we eat.

No comments: